Making horns/spikes

 

To create my horns i used milliputt. Milliputt putty is an epoxy paste made of two modelling clays, That when together mixed, combine to make a solid structure when dry.  This is a pretty light material, as well as perfect for shaping, sanding and sculpting into.  The only query i had with using milliput, as its an used as a industrial product, i was afraid it would have a harsh effect on the skin. Before i Used these in my assessment, i did a similar process to patch testing, and rubbed the soft milliputt onto the skin. This didn’t have a reaction. When designing the horns, i wanted them to vary in size. I made smaller tiny horns and then larger horns, i wasn’t yet sure where i was placing them or the sizes i pacifically needed, but i decided to make as many of different ranging in sizes as possible so that i could have a practice run and have enough for my final makeup.The milliput is quite a sticky and soft material before bonded, so i found it was gooey to work with to begin with, without gloves it was quite messy. I used a simple rolling technique through my hand creating natural grooves and texture. to have a thick flat base to apply to the face, and a thin point at the tip.

Image

When i was making them i had a little play around with the clay sculpt i had made for the forehead, placing them in to see if they would work. I was really happy when looking at it from this angle, but though this flat place wasn’t on silicone and it wasn’t on the head yet, i needed to find a method to hold these to the head and blend them into the flat piece. I wanted it to look as realistic as possible. I wanted the horns to give the effect that they had busted out of the skin.

Image

When looking at this i liked the ideas that they were all different sizes and pointing in all different angles, that these have took over from under the skin, growing larger..

Image

IMG_7300

When i did my original practiced, i used, white milliwatt without colouring, i decided that this was too white,and that it needed dulled down and giving a weird effect. I decided to go for a shaded brown and white effect, i wanted it to be quite woodland. Dark shading into lighter, giving the effect that when they are coming out the deeper the horn they more darkness is appearing.

I tired a range of materials to attempt to paint these. i found that it was quite diffciult. I first tried illustrator palette, this didn’t work. I then tried acrylic paint. this didn’t work, as seen bellow it kept streaking. i kind of liked the effect it gave tho, wooden effect. Almost like splinters.

ImageImageImage

I decided to used a piece i already has used to see what they looked like once they were placed upon the flat piece. i thought this looked good only i wanted them to be slightly darker with a less streaky effect. I needed to find a material could stick to this without rubbing off.

Image

I thought i would try grease paint, it wasn’t my first choice as i thought it would be rub off.. but when i practiced it, it worked really well, it gave a good cover and fade out, i then used power to soften it and seal it.  This was perfect for my design, It allowed me to soften the colour and have a fade out effect, so that it wasn’t block colours. I decided i didn’t want all the horns brown but i was going to scatter them, varying in colour on the day.

IMG_7295

The Milliputt wasn’t heavy but it was too heavy to use prosaid or aqua fix, this wasn’t a problem anyway as i wasted the horns to look like they were breaking out of the skin. I decided i would practice using sculpt gel, sculpt gel is a brilliant way to create a skin effect and if i apply it right it will give a uneven breakage to the skin. I applied sculpt gel to the bottoms of the horns and then pushed it against the forehead, then used IPA to blend it out, this was really effective.I continued these on in series creating a small headpiece. I done this without the flat piece to save on materials. I used illustrator palette to flicker colour onto the sculpt gel and create a skin tone colour. I found that when i practiced as i didn’t used my flat piece, i placed the horns in too much of a circle motion, and it made my model look like a unicorn. I was satisfied that it would be different when applying it with a flat piece as the horns will follow it, not allowing for this to happen. I used a lot of brown  on the horns, i decided i thought it would look more effective if some of them where left just white, the smaller horns particularly. I was really happy with the turn out of the horns.

IMG_7294 IMG_7290 IMG_7285I created a horn head piece, sticking horns onto a hair band that would be placed into the hair and hidden but the bouffant. After i made it i went with the decision not to use it, as it didn’t give much extra to the makeup. I also found that it would have looked quite lost in the hair, unable to been seen.

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s