Before we could begin to learn how to make wigs, we needed to learn how to make the basing of the wig. Last year we learnt how to measure the head for a wig, this was a similar process to making the template for our own wigs. This made this process less scary and more confident in doing this as we had kind of an idea.
We make templates in teams of 3 this made for more hands which made it less tricky, First we created pin curls in the hair to create anchor points, we then had to wrap the hair, this was a similar process so i was used to doing it fast, i needed to make the hair as flat as i could so the head template fitted. Once the hair was tighten to the head, we then covered it in cling film, there was a technique to fold the cling film which i found quite tricky as it was fiddly to work with, it needed to be as neat as possible. after the cling film was placed, we added sticky tape to secure it.. this also made a film that you could draw upon, as we had to mark on the hairline following the natural hairline. This also included the ears and back of nape.To secure the marker we added tape over all marked areas.. it would also be helpful to mark the measurements onto the cap. This was your template made.. you needed to leave a gap at the nap of neck so that it was possible to remove it from the head, this can always be sewn up at later date. Everyone had there own template of their heads made, this was r bases to start construction of our own wigs..
The wig construction process looked all so very complicated to me, it wasn’t an area i was particularly interested in either, but i gave it a go. The wig construction was to create a base in which to knot the hair. In our first attempt to make these we used tutu net, this was a cheaper alternative as lace is quite expensive and easy to rip. Once we were confident then this is when u could attempt the lace. We divided the nets into colours, Black – Caul Net, Red – Foundation, White – Lace. This helped a lot in the making and understanding of wig constructions.
When looking for A block, i needed to use one slightly bigger than my head, as there wasn’t enough to share around, this wouldn’t be the case if i was making a wig for an assessment. I used a 58C. and used tissue to pads it out covering it in tape and remarking the hairlines. I measured sections by marking points which reflected the hairline. 7cm back from the hair line was an area for the foundation net, then the caul net. I found this hard, although a lot of people found it quite simple, i think this is because different people have different areas they are better at or enjoy more. Prosthetics is mine. Once i blocked this all on using pins to keep it secure, i darted areas together to make it fit more secure, and the net could be sewn properly. We had learnt to dart in the past so this was quick to pick back up. In areas where the head was more rounded i had more darts and flatter parts i might not had any. The darts also ranged in size depending on the hairline. Once i had it blocked together i started to whip it together using clear string, this is the industries word for sewing it together, this combines all three nets into a one base. i had to cut off the excess net. I wasn’t really happy with this but it was my first time and i hope in time with more practice i can improve, unfortunately my project didn’t need me to used a wig but this was always good to learn as maybe in my next project it will require it.